Sunday, July 06, 2003

"All You Need Is Love, All You Get Is Afraid"

I was listening to a live Robyn Hitchcock tape in the car on the way home from work, and that line, from "Aquarium," just stuck out and I had to mention it. It kind of encapsulates the way I feel today. I'm way too tired to go into details (not that I was gonna go into details anyway), but I feel like I've been making so much progress with the other areas of my life -- job, house, lots of great friends, working on my book, writing songs that actually don't suck, etc. -- yet it seems like there's no romance in the cards. It just isn't there. I know that part of it was that I was looking too hard for a while. Then, I was trying to fight my feelings, but then it turned into an REO Speedwagon song, which was responded to with a different REO Speedwagon tune, but not the one I'd hoped. Now I'm just kind of floating in some "Bohemian Rhapsody" lull, where "nothing really matters. Anyone can see. Nothing really matters to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee." If you're not quite following, don't worry. There's nothing really dramatic to report. Life's just a series of dreams, according to the former Robert Zimmerman. This makes perfect sense, of course, as I feel like my life lately has been devolving into a ridiculous sitcommy soap-opera, much like "SOAP," which, incidentally, is probably one of my favorite shows of all time now that I think about it. I mean, you got a defrocked priest with a demonically-possessed baby, a husband abducted by aliens and replaced with a replica, a gay son fighting with his brother's ventriloquist's dummy, a love story involving a mafia don's daughter, another son lured into a cult, and a South American revolutionary thrown in for shits and giggles.

Well, there really wasn't a point that I was driving at, but I didn't I reference the 70's and 80's (my prime boyhood years) quite nicely? I think I may have to pick up a new copy of Hi Infidelity by REO Speedwagon sometime soon. I'm sure the 8-track is pretty shot by now. Oh yeah, btw, Schatzi's cover of "Anyway You Want It" by Journey on their split cdep with Motion City Soundtrack is pretty killer. Definitely the best thing on the disc. Dawn might disagree, but I'm old, so I win.

It's 8:07am, time for bed.

[View/Post Comments]

No comments:

Post a Comment