Friday, January 10, 2003

So yeah, if your band is going to play acoustic-guitar emo, does it HAVE to sound EXACTLY like Dashboard Confessional? I mean, I have the So Impossible EP already, so why do I need to go to my favorite bar to be assaulted with note-for-note replications of something someone else already does? I know there's lots of cover bands on Long Island, but at least they have the decency to ackowledge that they are cover bands. Why not just call yourselves "Dashboard Replicational" or "I Sucked Chris Carrabas' Brain and All I Got Was This Crappy Band?" At least the other band that played had a somewhat original sound, even though it seemed like they played that one song five times (ie, all the songs sound the same). So, please, do me a favor, and if my songs suck and sound like someone else's in that bad way where it's way too obvious, tell me, and make me stop embarrassing myself.

In happier news, we are having the Indie Rock Bowl-O-Rama tonight at 11! I am so psyched. Some of my favorite people will be there, yay! We will drink, bowl, laugh, and live! Sergei, Sean and I will be returning to the first place we bowled together, and subsequently became buddies. Reunited, and it feels so good.

Doing the radio show yesterday, I think I started losing my mind around 5am. First of all, I was off my game from the start, having said "anyhoo" several times in the first minute on mic. I subsequently started screaming every time I said "anyhoo" thereafter. What the hell is wrong with me to make me keep saying "anyhoo" anyhow? Otherwise, it was really fun for a while, as there were several people hanging around the studio (a rare treat for a 3-6:30am shift), and I rocked out a bit before suddenly getting emotional around the time I played Versus "A Heart Is a Diamond" and Velocity Girl "Why Should I Be Nice to You." I am not exactly sure why, but it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was lost after that. Redeemed only by the half hour of Camper Van Beethoven and Monks of Doom I ended with.

n.p. Alkaline Trio - "While You're Waiting"

No comments:

Post a Comment