Sunday, January 05, 2003

The first two consecutive days posting post. Boo ya! Listening to Versus because I am the kind of dork that will listen to a band that I've just seen live right after the show. They actually played songs off of "Let's Electrify" which I wouldn't have expected, because I've seen plenty of bands with 10 years + of material that never play the old stuff. If anything, it gave me an excuse to break out that EP and give it another spin, which is something I haven't done in ages. All in all, quite a show. Great fun, a great crowd, and a nice energy level. +/- was really good, despite James being under the weather. It was really only evident when he sang "Queen of Detroit." He told Matt that Versus was going to have to send the Bowery Ballroom photos, so he wants him to send him the pictures he took tonight. He still also has to upload the +/- pictures Matt took for their website. Calla was pretty good. I have a feeling I might like them better on record, though. The first thing Matt & I thought of them was "Gee, the guitar sound is great! Then again, it was an old hollow-bodied Gibson, so it had to sound great." The other thing we both thought was that he was like Brooklyn's Conor Oberst. I think he wants to be Jordan Catalano. Matt chuckled when I said that. Nothing is quite the same as going to a show with my brother. Very few people can get my random obscure references or deal with my music snob mentality like he can. For instance, he's one of the only people to whom I could say "The one thing that bugged me about the last song was that the bassline sounded exactly like 'American Woman' and I could only think of that for the whole time" and have respond "The sad thing is, there's a million bands that do that." We are bastards. It's awesome. Just wait until his new band, Repercussions UK, is ready to take over the world. I know I am looking forward to it. I wish I could share with everybody the catchiest chorus/breakdown ever...but I think I should keep it secret for now. It's my brother's gift to the world and I can't take that away from him. But take it from me, it is killer! I guess that's all for now... I will go to bed humming the most anthemic chorus that will make no sense to anybody outside of the LI scene.

n.p. Versus - "Flax"

No comments:

Post a Comment